Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Painting Stripes


I painted stripes in my laundry room last week (thicker then the ones in this picture) and was surprised how easy it was. I was doubtful that they would turn out, but I had a few helpful tips that made a big difference!
  • Pick two colors and paint one of the colors on all of the walls, I used cream and beige.
  • Then you have to do some math to figure out how many stripes you can fit on each wall. You want each wall to start and end with a whole stripe. Decide about how many inches you would like the stripes to be. Measure each wall and divide the width of the stripe into the width of the wall. ex) 70 divided by 12 = 5.8 Round the total you got either up or down and that will be how many stripes you will have on that wall. ex) 6 stripes. Now take the width of the wall and divide the total number of stripes into it to get the exact width that your stripes will be. ex) 70 divided by 6= 11.67
  • Now you can measure out your stripes on the wall and mark the wall with a pencil. I used a level to draw the stripes in pencil. Next I took thick painters tape and taped off the stripes that I painted in the second color.
  • This next step is what made the lines come out so perfect. Once the tape is on the walls brush a lite coat of the base color over the edge on the tape to seal it. That way when you paint the second color none of it will leak through the tape.
  • Paint your second color and don't let it dry completely before removing the tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!